Trading Standards Advice for Businesses

This page provides some basic information and useful contacts for Businesses with regards to Trading Standards.

Calibration and Testing

Tendring District Council does not offer a calibration and testing service.  However Essex Trading Standards Service's laboratory provides a service for the testing and calibration of weights, and measures of length and capacity, to business and consumers in the area.

Education Services

Trading Standards and Tendring District Council's Food Safety Officers may offer talks to schools, groups and businesses promoting consumer rights and food safety awareness.

Under-Age Sales

Trading Standards deals with under-age sales of some products (such as tobacco, fireworks and videos) and works with the Police to deal with under-age alcohol sales.

Farming - Feed Stuff Mixing Registration

On-farm mixers must register with the County Council's Trading Standards Service.  Farmers who produce compound feeding stuffs for the exclusive use of their holding need to be registered if they put certain additives like vitamins or trace elements into their feed, or if they include certain pre-mixtures containing vitamins or trace elements, or if they mix in bought-in feeds that contain these additives or pre-mixtures.  This law stems from the implementation of a European Directive seeking to control activities which are considered potentially hazardous to animals, humans or the environment, although these registration provisions govern products considered less sensitive.

For further information and advice on Trading Standards please contact Essex Trading Standards.

Contact Details

Essex Trading Standards

Contact Essex Trading Standards

Essex Trading Standards Information

Tendring District Council Food Safety Team

telephone: 01255 686767 

Useful links

Trading Standards Business Guidance

Last updated on: 31/07/2018 - 10:20